Camp de la Bota – Barcelona’s death camp
When the Council built the shiny, clean, ultramodern Forum they covered up the Camp de la Bota. It was originally set up as a firing range by Napoleonic troops in 1810, and was then taken over the Spanish military. During the late 19th century, desperately poor immigrants moved in, building shacks. There was even a community of Chinese people, fleeing, I think, the Opium Wars and turmoil in the Philippines, and so the area was known for some time as the “Barrio de Pekin“.
But the Camp de la Bota has a more recent and sinister memory for many Barcelonans. It was used as a prison and execution ground between 1939 and 1952. Lorries of prisoners escorted by Guardia Civil, the Army and zealous volunteers would drive out here from Montjuic castle and El Modelo with people condemned in summary trials. It is estimated that 1,700 were killed here. A number of Nationalist sympathisers were also executed here by Anarchists during the Civil War.
As the Army abandoned the area, a new wave of immigrants from around Spain occupied the land. Most of the huge shanty town was cleared away iin the 1980s, the final homes were cleared away to make way for the Forum site.
There is no plaque commemorating this history.
Ver Historical memory map of Barcelona en un mapa más grande
History of Barcelona
- Barcelona’s air defences during the Civil War
- Camp de la Bota – Barcelona’s death camp
- First bombing during the Civil War
- Fossar de la Pedrera – Montjuïc’s common grave
- La Modelo Prison
- Plaça del Milicià Desconegut
- PSUC headquarters in Plaça Catalunya
- Somorrostro shanty town
- The La Canadiense Strike
- The Lenin Barracks – George Orwell in Barcelona
- The Liceu bomb
- The People’s Olympics in Barcelona
- 1936 revolution in Barcelona
- Barcelona in the Civil War
- Buenaventura Durruti
- Ethel MacDonald in Barcelona
- Francesc Boix
- George Orwell tours in Barcelona
- History of anarchism in Barcelona
- Homage to Catalonia quiz
- Ramon Mercader, Trotsky’s assassin
- Salvador Segui – El Noi de la Sucre
- Spanish Civil War quiz
- Trotsky in Barcelona: Like Nice in a hell of factories
- Videos about the Spanish Civil War