The RSPB has just issued its “wild bird winter survival plan” to help birds get through the worst of the freezing weather. It recommends:
- Put out feed regularly, especially in severe weather. Set up a bird table and use high calorie seed mixes.
- Put out hanging feeders for black sunflower seeds, sunflower hearts, sunflower-rich mixes or unsalted peanuts.
- Ensure a supply of fresh water every day. If it is very cold use tepid water but DO NOT use any antifreeze products.
- Put out fruit, such as apples and pears, for Blackbirds, Song Thrushes and other members of the thrush family.
- Food bars or fat hung up or rubbed into the bark of trees is a great help for Treecreepers, Goldcrests and many other species.
- Put up nest boxes to provide roost sites for the smaller birds. They will then be used for breeding later in the year.